Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Nutritionist Lecture.
I am on Luther's Swim Team. We were required to attend a lecture given by a popular nutritionist from Tennessee. She traveled up to Luther to give lectures to each of the sports teams. I was spectacle about attending this lecture. I had attended other nutrition lectures in the past, and I thought I might be bored at this one. However, my attendance was required, so I reluctantly went and sat near the back. The first thing I noticed about the speaker was her presence and energy. She was dressed conservatively, which made me think this would reflect her personality. I could not have been more wrong. She was very spunky, something I picked up on through the inflection in her voice and her hand gestures. She also made use of the space she had by constantly walking around the room. Her presentation mostly consisted of a Powerpoint with explanations on each slide. However, she did not have only words on the slides; she also included various pictures and charts. It was interesting to follow along. She knew how to relate to us and did so as much as possible during the presentation. Overall, her presentation was very personable and engaging. I was pleasantly surprised that I learned many new tidbits of information about nutrition that I did not know. Her "teaching" style was something that I admired. Her energy and passion about the topic made for an inspiring presentation. At least for me, she did what I think every educator should strive to do - present new material in an intriguing way that causes the learner to think more deeply about the topic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment